Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti


I got this recipe from the Pioneer Woman Cook Cookbook. I changed things a little so if you want her recipe she uses a whole fryer chicken (my husband will only eat chicken breasts), one 4-ounce jar diced pimientos, drained, thin spaghetti and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper.

It actually tastes pretty good, the only thing I would do differently is maybe less onion. My kids thought it was to strong. Fred and I liked it the way it was. I hope you like it too. It was really easy. I just used what I had in the kitchen which is why I didn't add certain ingredients, and I knew the cayenne pepper would be to spicy for the kids.


4 chicken breasts
1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup bell peppers (I used red), diced
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp Lawrys seasoned salt
2 cups chicken broth

Boil chicken until done, about 25 minutes. Cook your spaghetti al dente. When your spaghetti is done, drain excess water. Shred or dice your chicken.

Combine your spaghetti, cream of mushroom soup and 2 cups of cheese. Then add peppers and onions and stir. Add your salt, chicken and broth and stir together well. Pour the mixture into a large baking dish and top with the remainder cheese. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, until bubbly.

5 comments:

  1. why won't Fred eat a whole fryer chicken?

    whole wheat pasta takes some getting used to doesn't it? it grew on me, but still I always want the white stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a little time to get used to it but now that is all we eat. I was watching rachael ray a long time ago and she suggested mixing half and half until you got used to it. As for Fred, he is so picky. He won't eat anything off a bone, it has to be white meat, he also won't eat any pork, ham, bacon etc. He loves the veggie meals I make so I really should make more of them but the problem is I don't want to eat pasta everyday either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie...I am going to be a devoted follower! :)

    ReplyDelete