Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fennel-Pepper Spaghetti (One of my favorites)


We try to eat one meal without meat a week. This is one of our favorites. The flavor is so good. The fennel seed makes it have a hearty flavor to it. If you have to have meat, add chicken it is really good that way too. In fact when I am not eating pasta I eat it over chicken instead and it was amazing. I use all different types of pasta, and I usually use parmesan cheese because it is what I have at home. I also used a yellow onion. I believe I got this recipe from Rachael Ray.

Fennel-Pepper Spaghetti

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
2 tsp. fennel seeds
1 red onion, quartered then sliced
1 red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise, seeded and sliced
1 green bell pepper, quartered lengthwise, seeded and sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, quartered lengthwise, seeded and sliced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup chicken stock
1 can crushed or whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
ground pepper
1/2 cup basil chopped
1/4 cup parsley chopped
1 pound spaghetti
2 Tbsp butter
Romano Cheese

Boil water for pasta, add salt and cook spaghetti according to directions.
In large skillet over medium high heat add oil, garlic, and fennel seeds. Saute for a few minutes. Add peppers and onion, and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook until veggies are tender. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes and sauce to the pan (if using whole tomatoes break them up) Bring the sauce to a bubble and season with salt and pepper, let simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil and parsley.
Toss the butter and cheese with the cooked pasta, then add the tomato sauce and toss well to combine

2 comments:

  1. Should I be embarrassed that I don't know what Fennel seeds are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, if you have a spice rack they are in there. It is something I have never cooked with before this recipe. It is that seed you taste in Italian sausage.

    ReplyDelete