Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes!

This cupcake is so good I'm actually singing to it in my head! Oh my cupcake, oh my cupcake....to the tune of Oh My Darling Clementine. lol!



Don't make these because they are vegan (they are but you'd never know!!!) or healthier (they are but you'd never know!!!)...only because they might be the best cupcakes you've ever had!

1 cup coconut milk
1 T ground flaxseed
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 T corn flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch ground cayenne pepper
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract

For topping:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 T cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 & line muffin pan w/ cupcake liners.
Whisk together coconut milk & flaxseed, and allow to sit 10 minutes.
In another bowl, sift together flour, corn flour, almond meal, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne.
Whisk sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract into coconut milk mixture. Gently add wet ingredients to dry. Fill liners 3/4.
Bake 22-25 minutes. Sift powdered sugar onto cooled cakes, then cocoa in the middle, then cinnamon.

-recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

note: you can make your own almond meal in 5 minutes! Much cheaper than buying it. 1/2 cup raw whole almonds in coffee grinder. Pulse until pretty finely ground but not too much or it'll turn into almond butter! Sift out. Place remainder back into grinder and pulse again. Repeat until it's all sifted. Easy!!!

5 comments:

  1. Julie, I want bring you one! Will you be home at 1:00?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I think I'll be making these.... for LUNCH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had them for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, oh my these were soooooo good. The flavors just burst in your mouth. So freaking good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with Coconut Milk is heavenly! YUM, I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete