Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Crispy Peanut Butter Treats with Chocolate Chips



These were an instant hit with the whole family last night! I'm so excited to have a healthier alternative to rice crispy treats, one of my favorite things! I got this recipe from The Kind Diet. Every recipe I've tried from this cookbook has been so good. Here's what Alicia says about them:

These little yummies will blow your mind. Everyone-and I mean everyone-in your life will love these. You can serve them at parties, for after-school snacks, or as a regular dessert. They are also great for travel; I pack a big batch in my suitcase on most trips. Perfect for when I'm running late, have skipped a meal, or just want a dessert that won't bring me down, these treats are awesome.


Awesome is right! I'll be making these all the time.

Makes 9-12 squares
1 box brown rice crisps cereal (I found a gluten-free, whole grain, on sale at Good Earth!)
1 3/4 cups brown rice syrup*
fine sea salt
3/4 cup peanut butter or almond butter (preferably unsweetened & unsalted)
1/2 cup grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips (or whatever you want!)

Pour the rice cereal into a large bowl. Heat the syrup with a pinch of salt in a saucepan over low heat. When the rice syrup liquefies, add the peanut butter and stir until well combined. Pour over the rice cereal. Mix well with a wooden spoon.

Once thoroughly mixed and cooled to room temperature, stir in the chocolate chips. Make sure the mixture is cool, or you will end up with melted chocolate instead of chocolate chips.

Turn the mixture out into an 8x8 or 9x13 baking dish. Wet your wooden spoon slightly and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Let cool for 1 hour-if you can-before cutting into squares or bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment