Monday, May 3, 2010

Chili & Cornbread for a Cold Spring Day

Thanks so much for inviting me, Julie! I'm happy to share some of my favorite vegetarian recipes. There are so many, from black bean pineapple enchiladas to pad thai, I don't know where to begin! So I guess I'll start with my most current favorite.

First some background. I've been vegetarian for 15 years, but a part-time veg since birth. After some recent researching, I've slowly been breaking out into a full time vegan! Never thought I could ever accomplish this because I am such a food LOVER, and I thought being vegan meant slowly starving and enjoying nothing. I was so wrong! There is so much delicious & exciting food out there, in fact, I am starting to think vegan cuisine is even better! So, I will be posting some vegan recipes along with the vegetarian ones.

I think, to incorporate some vegetarian recipes into your diet, like Julie is doing, is so awesome!

So, onto last night's dinner & our current favorite dish. I usually only eat chili in the fall, because it's part of the joy of autumn and I like to savor that. But then I saw this recipe and just had to try it right away! And it's been so cold, chili sounded perfect. You may want to save this one for the fall, and from this point on, I will post more seasonal recipes. But I'm sure here in Utah there is one more cold, snowy or rainy day left this spring to enjoy a big bowl of wholesome, super yummy, chili & cornbread!

This recipe is vegan. Got it right here.

Tempeh Chili con Frijoles & Cornbread
To read the full recipe go to that link above. But I have a few notes to add.

tempeh: I know a lot of you are thinking, what the??? Ya gotta get it at a health food store, pretty sure. I found it at Good Earth in AF. But don't be scared, it's just grains! Looks like tofu, kinda, but hearty & nutty. It crumbles up nicely for this recipe and I love the texture. But I think tofu could work fine as well, if it's all you can find.

I found the reviews below the post very helpful.

We only used 2 T chili powder because it's all we had left. This made it perfectly mild for the kids, though we'd prefer it spicier. I'd probably add a jalapeno. But if you don't like spice, the 2 T is perfect!

For those who don't have beer on hand, go raid your naughty neighbor's fridge or something! ;) We did not use a very dark beer, but medium ale, so I don't think dark is absolutely necessary. I do think quality is what really matters, and the darker the richer. But don't worry, the chili doesn't taste like beer! It just adds a magical touch that will be your own dirty little secret when your friends & family rave about the super fine taste! :)

Definitely top it with the avocado and cilantro. It was sooooooo good!!! Also, tortilla chips would be even yummier!

This chili seriously ROCKS!

Lastly, there is a link to the cornbread recipe there. It was moist, easy, and delicious!!! If you want sweetness maybe try a little honey or agave nectar, but I loved it as is!

Oh, and sorry no pictures! I'll try to have some next time...I was enjoying my chili too much to fetch the camera. :)

Happy Eating!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey next time you go to that store in A.F. will you call me. I would love to see what you get there. I am excited to try this. Is the texture of the Tempeh different than Tofu? I have texture issues. I know I am weird. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes it's crumbly...while tofu is smooth. it's more like ground veggie meat. you actually don't even notice it much in the chili but it adds protein and makes it heartier.

    Ya, let's go to Good Earth together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds tasty!!! I love veggie chili!

    ReplyDelete